Energy Systems 2018 Preliminary Programme
Panel Discussion 1: Putting sustainability at the heart of the energy system
- Global risk
- Managing low-carbon transition
- Climate imperative
- Aligning with UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Understanding the role of consumers as system architects
- Thelma Krug, Vice-chair, IPCC, Brazil
- Laura Cozzi, Head of the Energy Demand Outlook Division, IEA, France
- Wilfrid Petrie, CEO, Engie, UK and Ireland
Panel Discussion 2: Financing the transition
- What is the right framework for investment to flow that reduces the risk of short termism in policy making?
- What is the role of impact and ethical investments in the transformation of the energy system?
- The role of shareholders in changing a company’s activities and shaping their priorities
- How to finance a new model of energy – capital costs versus unit pricing and what needs to be socialised or shaped as an insurance policy
- Zoë Knight, Managing Director, Group Head, HSBC Centre of Sustainable Finance, HSBC Holdings plc, UK
Panel Discussion 3: Market Design Approaches
- Gas, electricity and CO2 market design and regulation
- Examining incentives for emerging technologies and other low carbon sectors
- Keeping it cost effective to maximise affordability, price and cost concerns
- What is the role for policy-makers and consumers?
- What are the new business models that can survive the end game?
- Who are the new players who have different market designs that provide an integrated offer – i.e. transport, heat and electricity
- How can Big Data help build a secure, flexible and resilient energy system?
- Felix Zhang, Executive Director, Envision Energy, China
- Dermot Nolan, Chief Executive Officer, OFGEM, UK
- Anthony Froggatt, Senior Research Fellow, Energy, Environment and Resources, Chatham House, UK
Panel Discussion 4: Interconnected infrastructure systems
- What are the approaches necessary to design/improve systems for: oil and gas, electricity, heat, carbon dioxide, transport and storage that will improve and encourage integration?
- How do we balance the differing infrastructure systems?
- What are the game changing technologies and how do we plan for them?
- What are the appropriate policy frameworks to deliver infrastructural strategy in an energy system under transition?
- Cordi O’Hara FEI, President and COO, Massachusetts, National Grid, USA
- Wairimu Karanja, Founder and Director, EnVantage Law, Kenya